The Capilano Suspension Bridge is a simple suspension bridge crossing the Capilano River in the District of North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The current bridge is 136 metres long and 70 metres above the river. It is part of a private facility, with a charge for admission, and draws over 800,000 visitors a year. North Shore residents often go to the nearby Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge instead, as there is no admission fee.
In 1888, George Grant Mackay, a Scottish civil engineer and land developer, arrived in the city of Vancouver, British Columbia. As City Park Commissioner he was one of the people to set aside Stanley Park as a recreational area. He also bought and sold farm land in the Okanagan, founding the city of Vernon. Mackay purchased 24 square kilometres of dense forest on either side of Capilano River and built a cabin on the very edge of the canyon wall. Assisted by two local natives and a team of horses, Mackay suspended a hemp rope and cedar plank bridge across the river. Natives called it the "laughing bridge" because of the noise it made when wind blew through the canyon. The bridge and Mackay's cabin became a popular destination. After his death, the hemp rope bridge was replaced by a wire cable bridge in 1903.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
Capilano Suspension Bridge, Vancouver