Wat Chaiwatthanaram is a buddhist temple in the city of Ayutthaya, Thailand. It is one of Ayutthaya's most beautiful temples and a major tourist attraction.
Construction of the temple began in 1630 at the request of King Prasatthong for the memorial of his mother's resident in that area. The temple's name literally means the Temple of long reign and glorious era. It was designed in Khmer style which popular in that time.
Ayutthaya (full name Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, also spelled "Ayudhya") city is the capital of Ayutthaya province in Thailand. The city was founded in 1350 by King U-Thong and became capital of his kingdom. The king came to escape a smallpox outbreak in Lop Buri. Often referred as the Ayutthaya kingdom or Siam. Ayutthaya was named after the city of Ayodhya in India, the birthplace of Rama in the Ramayana (Thai, Ramakien). In 1767 the city was destroyed by the Burmese army, and the ruins of the old city now form the Ayutthaya historical park, which is recognized internationally as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city was refounded a few kilometers to the east.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
View on Google Maps