Casa Loma (literally House on the Hill) is a Toronto tourist attraction and the former home of financier Sir Henry Mill Pellatt and is located on Austin Terrace, at the south end of Spadina Road on an escarpment above Davenport Road. Davenport runs along the bottom of the escarpment which was the shoreline of Lake Iroquois, the predecessor of Lake Ontario. Casa Loma affords views down the escarpment and Spadina Avenue into the heart of Toronto.
Sir Henry commissioned Canadian architect E.J. Lennox to design Casa Loma with construction beginning in 1911, starting with the massive stables a few hundred feet north of the main building. The stables were used as a construction site for the castle, some of the machinery still remaining in the rooms under the stables. The house cost approximately $3.5 million and took a team of 300 workers three years to build from start to finish. Upon completion in 1914, at 98 rooms, it was the largest private residence in Canada. Notable amenities included an elevator, an oven large enough to cook a steer, two vertical passages for pipe organs, two secret passages in Sir Henry's ground-floor office and three bowling alleys. Many of the rooms were left unfinished, and today serve as a small museum for the Queen's Own Rifles, of which Pellat was the Honourary Colonel.
This article is licensed from Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License.
View on Google Maps