Santa Maria de Leon Cathedral, also called The House of Light is situated in the city of Leon in north-west Spain. It was built on the site of a previous Roman hot baths of the 2nd century which, 800 years later, the emblematic king Ordono II converted into a palace. Its doors, its impressive rose window, the choir (one of the oldest in the country) and the delicacy of some figures, like the venerated Virgen Blanca presiding over the constant traffic of visitors, are some of the not-to-be-missed features of this cathedral.
The Leon Cathedral, dedicated to Santa Maria de la Regla, was declared of Cultural Interest in 1844. It is known as the Pulchra Leonina and it is a masterpiece of the Gothic style dominating the mid 13th century, by master architect Enrique. In the late 16th century it was virtually finished. It was erected on the site of Roman hot baths dating from the 2nd century, which were converted into a royal castle by king Ordono II in the 10th century.
This article is licensed from Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License.
More on Leon can be read at Leon En El Corazon
View on Google Maps