The Palais du Luxembourg (Luxembourg Palace) in the VIe arrondissement of Paris, north of the Luxembourg Garden, is where the French Senate meets.
The palace was originally built for Marie de Medici, mother of king Louis XIII of France on the site of an old townhouse owned by the Duc de Piney-Luxembourg. Her architect was Salomon de Brosse. Louis commissioned the artists Nicolas Poussin and Philippe de Champaigne to decorate the Palace. However, by the time the palace had been finished, Marie de Medici had been banished.
It was inherited by Marie's granddaughter, Anne, Duchess of Montpensier. The palace was not used until it was owned by Louis XVI's brother, the Comte de Provence. During the French Revolution, it was the centre of the French Directory and later the first residence of Napoleon Bonaparte when he was First Consul of France
In the 19th century the palace was extensively remodelled, with a new garden facade by Alphonse de Gisors (1836-1841), and a cycle of paintings (1845-1847) by Eugene Delacroix that was added to the library.
This article is licensed from Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License.
You can visit the director's blog here.
View on Google Maps