Nijo Castle is located in Kyoto, Japan. The castle consists of two concentric rings of fortifications, the Ninomaru Palace, the Honmaru Palace, various support buildings and several gardens. The surface area of the castle is 275 000 square meters, of which 8000 square meters is occupied by buildings.
In 1601 Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of Tokugawa Shogunate ordered all the feudal lords in Western Japan to contribute to the construction of the Nijo Castle. The construction was completed during the reign of Tokugawa Iemitsu in 1626. It was built as the Kyoto residence of the Tokugawa Shoguns.
In 1788 the Inner Palace was destroyed by a city-wide fire. The site remained empty until 1862.
In 1867 the Ninomaru Palace was the stage for the declaration by Tokugawa Yoshinobu, returning the authority to the Imperial Court. Next year the Imperial Cabinet was installed in the castle. In 1939 the palace was donated to the city of Kyoto and opened to the public the following year.
This article is licensed from Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License.
View on Google Maps