The Bull & Finch Pub is a bar / restaurant located on Beacon Street in Boston, Massachusetts. The Bull & Finch has gained much notoriety from the exterior shots used of it on the show Cheers. Though the exterior shots were used, no interior shots were; and thus the interior of the bar does not resemble the the bar from Cheers at all. More recently its name has been changed from The Bull & Finch to Cheers Beacon Hill.
The pub is opposite Boston Common. Boston Common is Boston, Massachusetts' most famous public park and the oldest city park in the United States, dating as far back as 1634. It is 50 acres in size. The Common is bounded by Tremont St., Park St., Beacon St., Charles St., and Boylston St. A visitors' center for all of Boston is on the Tremont Street side of the park.
Its purpose has changed over the years. Originally it was owned by William Blaxton (often given the modernized spelling "Blackstone") until it was bought from him by the city. It was used as a camp by the British before the Revolutionary War, and was where they left from for the Battle of Lexington and Concord. Up until 1830, it was used for cattle grazing. It was also used for public hangings up until 1817, most of which were from a large oak which was replaced with gallows in 1769. Mary Dyer was hanged there in 1660.
This article is licensed from Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License.
View on Google Maps