Hiroshima Castle (Hiroshima-jo), sometimes called Carp Castle is a castle in Hiroshima, Japan which was the home of the daimyo (feudal lord) of the Hiroshima han (fief). Originally constructed in the 1590s, the castle was destroyed in the atomic bombing in 1945. It was rebuilt in 1958, a replica of the original which now serves as a museum of Hiroshima's history prior to World War II.
Mori Terumoto, one of Toyotomi Hideyoshi's council of five regents, established Hiroshima castle in 1589 at the delta of the Otagawa river. There was no Hiroshima city or town at the time, and the area was called Gokamura, meaning 'five villages.' Beginning in 1591, Mori governed nine provinces from this castle, including much of what is now Shimane, Yamaguchi, Tottori, Okayama and Hiroshima Prefectures.
When construction on the castle began, Gokamura was renamed Hiroshima, as a more impressive name was called for. "Hiro" was taken from Oeno Hiromoto, an ancestor of the Mori family, and "Shima" was taken from Fukushima Motonaga who helped Mori Terumoto choose the castle site. Some accounts state that the name 'Hiroshima', meaning literally 'wide island', comes from the existence of several large islands in the delta of the Otagawa, near the castle's site.
This article is licensed from Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License.
View on Google Maps