Kata Tjuta, also known as Mount Olga (or colloquially as The Olgas), are large rock formations located in Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, 465 km southwest of Alice Springs. These rock formations are a remarkable group of 36 domes, made from an mixture of Granite, Basalt and Mudstone.
They are about 25 km from Uluru in the Northern Territory of Australia. The tallest of the group, Mount Olga, stands 457 m in height. It is located at the eastern end of the Docker River Road.
The Pitjantjajara name Kata Tjuta means 'many heads'. The site is as sacred to the Indigenous people as Uluru.
The alternative name, The Olgas, comes from the tallest peak, Mt Olga. At the behest of Baron Ferdinand von Mueller, Mt Olga was named in 1872 by Ernest Giles, in honour of Queen Olga of Wurttemberg. She and her husband King Karl had marked their 25th wedding anniversary the previous year by, amongst other things, naming Mueller a Freiherr (baron), making him Ferdinand von Mueller; this was his way of repaying the compliment.
This article is licensed from Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License.
View on Google Maps