Hampton Court Palace is a former royal palace in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, south west London, England.
The Knights Hospitaller operated a farm on the site from 1236. In 1505, the Lord Chamberlain, Sir Giles Daubeney, leased the property and used it to entertain Henry VII.
Thomas Wolsey, then Archbishop of York and Chief Minister to the King, took over the lease in 1514 and rebuilt the 14th-century manor house over the next seven years (1515-1521) to form the nucleus of the present palace.Thomas Wolsey was a big spender and built the finest palace in England at Hampton court. It made Henry so jealous that Wolsey 'gave' the palace to him.
This article is licensed from Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License.
View on Google Maps