The Hungarian Parliament Building is the seat of the National Assembly of Hungary. It lies in Kossuth Lajos Square, right on the bank of the Danube, in Budapest.
Budapest was united from three cities in 1873 and seven years later the National Assembly resolved to establish a new, representative Parliament Building, expressing the sovereignty of the nation. A competition was published, which was won by Imre Steindl, but the plans of the other two competitors were also realized, facing the Parliament: one serves today as the Ethnographical Museum, the other as the Ministry of Agriculture.
The construction of the winner's plan was started in 1885, inaugurated in the millennium anniversary of the country in 1896, and was completed in 1904. Tthe architect of the building went blind before its completion and he could not live up to the completion of his plan.
This article is licensed from Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License.
View video on Google Maps