The Raffles Hotel is a colonial-style hotel in Singapore, dating from 1887, and named after Singapore's founder Sir Stamford Raffles. Managed by Raffles International, it is known for its luxurious accommodation and superb restaurants. The hotel houses a tropical garden courtyard, museum, and Victorian-style theatre.
The hotel was founded by four Armenian brothers: Martin, Tigran, Aviet and Arshak Sarkies. They opened the 10-room colonial bungalow at Beach Road and Bras Basah Roads on 1 December 1887. The original location was by the seaside, although continued reclamation means that the site is presently some 500 meters away from the shore. No Asians were permitted as hotel guests until the 1930s. The hotel continued to expand over the years with the addition of wings, the completion of the main building, the addition of a verandah, a ballroom, a bar and billiards room and further buildings and rooms.
This article is licensed from Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License.
View video on Google Maps