The Google LatLong blog has provided the answers to the Where in the World Quiz. I have to hold my hand up and admit I got one wrong. I will update the kml of the updated imagery soon.
For now here are the correct answers:
1) U.S. Route 91 turns into a much more famous stretch of road when it crosses into this town.
-- Las Vegas (The Las Vegas Strip)
2) Every year, this city plays host to the U.K.'s largest outdoor (temporary) ice rink.
-- Leeds, England (The Ice Cube)
3) Paradise: In this town you can surf or visit the world's most delicious book store, located in
an old Twinkie factory (with plenty of aging filling still in the pipes).
-- Cleveland (Anyone who watches "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" should have gotten that one right!)
4) The original name of this city was Terminus.
-- Atlanta, Georgia
5) The world's northernmost opera house is located in this town.
-- Umeå, Sweden
6) This major U.S. city is actually north of Canada.
-- Detroit, Michigan
7) A popular children's game show that promoted geographic knowledge was produced out of
-- Pittsburgh (Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?)
8) Don't let the name fool you -- this lake actually fills a 4,000ft deep caldera.
-- Crater Lake, Oregon
9) You can tour the Royal Navy's first iron-hulled, armor-plated warship in this town.
-- Portsmouth, England (HMS Warrior)
10) The historic fort in this city was restored based on an 1847 map published in Darmstadt,
-- Sacramento (Sutter's Fort)
11) As Halloween approaches, one might be interested in viewing the 'Ghost Capital of Britain.'
-- Derby, England
12) Now part of Germany, this city was once the capital of the Hanseatic League.
-- Luebeck, Germany
13) President Lincoln attended the dedication ceremony of the Soldier's National Cemetery in
-- Gettysburg, PA (President Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address at this dedication ceremony.)Google LatLong: Where in the world is ... (bonus edition -- Answers)