In the 1880's the Pecs' city council set up a committee to coordinate the planning of a new theatre. The design competition was won by Adolf Lang and Adolf Steinhardt. The first performance in the new theatre was held on 5 October 1895 with the play Bánk bán.
The theatre was nationalized between 1949 and 1989. The chamber theatre was opened, which was transformed to a children's theatre in 1965. After the theatre building's deterioration worsened in the middle of the 1980s, a 5 year long reconstruction started in 1986, equipping the theatre with a modern orchestra pit and new machinery.
View a video of the National Theatre, Pecs on Google Maps